Sunday, May 6, 2012

Odds and Ends

Today's New York Times has a number of interesting pieces, although not all are economics. I will begin with economics and business though.  Tyler Cowen's column is about India, and how troublesome India's slowing growth rate may turn out to be. He argues that India's economy could surpass China this century because of the differences in population growth rates for the two countries.  But, he sees the growing segments of India's economy cut-off from the rest of the country.  There is also a long article on this year's college graduates and how many are turing to internships when they cannot find jobs.

On a different note--two articles in the sports section.  One on Joey Crawford, a NBA referee for many years.  I found it interesting,especially as it relates to many of the players who have been in the league since he began as a ref. The other is on Ron Guidry and Mariano Rivera. I am not a Yankees fan, but I remember when Guidry--Louisiana Lightening--was a Yank, and I consider Rivera to be the greatest closer even in the game.  With Rivera's injury, his career could be ending, but I hope not.  Although, according to the article, Guidry would often meet with Rivera during spring training and would tell him, "One of these days, your're going to be like I am--old."  Reminds of hearing Joe Garagiola say once while broadcasting a game--You know you're getting old when son's of players you played with are nearing retirement age.

Today is Hope's graduation. Perhaps I am recognizing the aging factor more as I see another group of young men and women graduate to start their lives.  The last article I will mention is from the Travel Section and is on China.  I accompanied the Baker Scholars at Hope to China over spring break. The article is about Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. We visited the first two of those cities, and also visited many businesses in the two cities.  It was the first time in many years that I thought how great it would be to by young and starting a career today because of the excitement and change I saw in China.  At this point, I would learn Chinese before any of India's languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment